Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:57:49 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
PTP
I am working with a mother who is inducing lactation (Goldfarb protocol), and is expecting a baby through a gestational carrier.  She will be able to be with the baby probably within hours of birth.  The GC plans to express colostrum/milk for a few weeks after birth.  I am not sure what to advise the mother about feeding the baby during the first few days, when colostrum feedings are the normal food for the baby.  I lean towards encouraging her to give any colostrum provided by dropper or cup, and put the baby to the breast without a supplementer, on the theory that the colostrum plus the small volume of milk available from from her breast will be about right.  But I haven't found any published info on this - it seems that most info about induced lactation assumes that the baby is already >1 week old and needs larger volume feedings.  I also don't know how much colostrum the GC will be able/willing to express - other than watching for signs of hypoglycemia or dehydration, what should I tell the mom about needed volumes?
Does anyone have experience, resources, or thoughts to share?

Jessica Lang Kosa

PP IBCLC
Boston

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2