From:
Renee Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2005 11:00:34 EDT
I have permission to post.  First off this is an internet  chat friend whom I
have known for about 2 years now,  I have not physically  seen her, only know
what I have asked and how she answered.  Her baby is 8  days old today, and
though she says her breasts are "getting hard and lumpy"  nothing is coming
out.  She states she has tried massage, electric pumping,  showering, everything
the nurses at the hospital have told her to try  and....Nothing.  I spoke to
her (via internet) while baby was 24 hours old  and she was still in hospital.
She said she had no colostrum coming out,  and the nurses had put the baby on
formula because "nothing was coming out at  all".  I explained to her that
colostrum would be very little esp at 24  hours, but she insists there is
nothing.  She is still putting baby to  breast and she says he "nurses like a champ"
but gets mad after "15 minutes of  not getting anything"  I asked about
suck/swallow and she isn't sure (and I  can't witness) She then gives abm after the
"nursing".  She says her  breasts feel hard and lumpy and then after awhile
"it goes away".  I could  not ascertain if it went away after a "nursing".  She
doesn't have much  support from dad, he tells her to quit worrying about it
and just switch to abm,  the LC at her hospital is part time and has yet to
call her back.  WIC  tells her (via phone) just to keep trying.  I have put her
in touch with  LLL so maybe SOMEONE will see this dyad.  She says she is going
to try a  little while longer, but then is going to give up.  her breasts are
hurting  and so she is uncomfortable.  I gave her the Jack Newman internet
hand out  on RPS (haven't heard if she tried it) and don't know if that will even
help her  situation.  Do any of you have an idea of what could be happening
here?  In my LIMITED experience, I have never seen where the breasts are
filling, but nothing is coming out (btw-she has NOT had breast surgery)   Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Renee Drake RN CLC