From:
Teresa Vinisky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:30:07 EDT
I had a call today from a mother who accidentally took 4 prenatal vitamins
yesterday. She took her normal 1 in the am, and at noon, meant to take 3 b
complex but took 3 prenatals instead. Her baby is 5 1/2 months old, soley
breastfed (about every 2 hours).
She has taken 16,000 IUs of vit a.
1,600 vit. D
and 88mg of vitamin E.

She called her ped last night, her ob, poison control and a lactation
consultant. Noone had any answers. They just told her to immediately stop
nursing until she found out how long it takes to process these. She instead,
just nursed less frequently. She called me today. I looked up normal doses
and info in hale's but couldn't really come up witha  definate answer. My
question is, will these doses increase the levels  of these vitamins in her
breastmilk? Also, I've read that A and E are processed by the liver. Since
this was only a one time overdose, should her liver be able to process these
large amounts without consequence? Is she safe to nurse the baby full time
again? (Was it ever unsafe?)
Thanks for any information you might have.