From:
Elizabeth Puzar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 05:14:52 -0400
Teri,

I have rented out Lactinas since they first came out and I have never had one
not work.  I have had two that sounded rough, but they still cycled correctly
and the negative pressure they created was WNL.  The Lactinas have the
additional advantage of being "contamination proof" because there isn't a way
to get milk into the pump.  If this is just for employees, not for moms with
milk supply challenges or hospitalized infants, I'd go for a Lactina.

RUSSIA:  The electric current cycles differently in Russia than in the United
States.  Even if she were able to lug a Classic pump to Russia, I don't
believe it would cycle quickly enough to be efficient even with an adapter.
 I believe her best bet would be to take a Lactina Select.  1.  It's lighter
in weight.  2.  She would have a hand pump available if she needed one
(electric service is spotty in areas).  3.  The 'select' feature would allow
her to change the cycles per minute, regardless of the Hertz cycles
available.  Another choice would be to use the Lactina with a battery pack,
although this would require more work.  The battery pack is first charged
using an adapter.  Then, the pump is used with the battery pack.

Have her purchase or borrow a good, large set of adapters.  The plugs aren't
always the same, even in the same country.  She wouldn't want to get stuck
with full breasts and a pump, but without the proper adapter.  Also, please
suggest that this mother take along some literature showing the pump in use!
 I had two mothers detained in customs because the customs officials didn't
believe these machines were actually breastpumps.  In Taiwan, she eventually
was believed.  In India, the mother was forced to demonstrate the pump in
front of custom officials.

Elizabeth Puzar, IBCLC