From:
Rebecca Behre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:03:33 PDT
I have a mom who has a 7 week old baby.  Has had oral surgery once when baby
three weeks old for an abscess in her front teeth.  On antibiotics x 1month
and infection started up again only three days after off them.  Now faced with
a second surgery and more antibiotics.  Surgeon put her on Cephalexin 250mg
QID and it is making her baby "cramp up and screem in pain".  She is now
pumping and dumping except for one or two feeds per day but doesn't know how
long she can keep this up.  She is allergic to PCN and Sulfa.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this mom.  I'm sure I could talk her
doc into another antibiotic regime if someone could come up with one.
Maybe something IV for a shorter period, or another drug entirely.
Feeding just before the dose didn't seem to help much.  She is devastated.
This is baby #3 and her last and the first one she has been able
to stay home with.  She wants to nurse as long as possible but this
infection has really got her down.

Please e-mail me your suggestions ASAP.  She says TIA.

Thanks everyone
Becky Behre, RNC
Moscow, Idaho