From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 01:20:57 +0100
Thank you, Morgan, Diane and Jennifer, for your long postings on the breast
crawl video.
The points of criticism, esp. about so many people standing by and the
mother being so inactive and letting things being done to her instead of
doing them herself, sort of made me frown, when I first watched the video,
as well as when it was discussed here, so double sided thinking on that one.
My reply about appreciating the link for the (free!) video came from the
thought Morgan just expressed: seeing the baby do something on its very own,
even if the latch could be better.
All in all, I think it is interesting for all of us to (see) discuss(ed)
what could be improved in new film material and what is worth keeping.
There is always so much beautiful stuff around that you would like to show
mothers, but as a volunteer I hardly have any money to spent (and I don't
know if that will be much better as an lc, having to get my cerps at
congresses worth many paid consultations...) and therefore getting
WHO-'approved' materials for free is a good thing. Two thoughts on that: on
the one hand, WHO-logos on written or image materials give you the feeling
it ought to be okay (and it probably is). On the other hand, we have to
remain consciously aware of the fact that videos will work best if what is
shown, fits the audience and its culture. Otherwise it will be harder for
people to identify with it. But then again: all of that could be a topic to
discuss when watching the video and then afterwards ask people what they
think of it, what they like, what is new to them and what they would not be
comfortable with in their own situation. Wonderful tools to work with!
My unfamiliarity with certain traditions in Indian culture already made me
hesitate to disqualify the way it was done, as I don't know to what extent
this is an improvement. It probably is, or else they would not have produced
it. Well, I would really appreciate tips on where to get baby led latching
videos in a Western setting at a reasonable price, even if it would only be
a ten or fifteen minute piece.
And many thanks to all, for the ongoing, thorough discussions, where people
aren't too 'careful', but respectfully take a firm standpoint. Great, to be
able to sharpen my own ideas on experienced collegues.
I'm always being told that to really get into things deeply, e-mail is not a
good way of communicating and in the end it doesn't work. Well, I totally
disagree on that; it works more than fine! ;o)

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen,
Netherlands, VBN-volunteer and hoping to pass the IBCLC-exam next year (that
is... if I manage to get back to Riordan instead of constantly reading
Lactnet.... hahaha)