From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:26:49 -0400
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:24:37 -0400, Pam Hirsch wrote:

<<Hi, Lee (and Jan):  I've been doing breasts for 25 years now and up until
a few years ago was lucky(?) if I saw a mastitis every couple of years.
Nowadays, I'm seeing a couple of mastitises a week!  I am directly
attributing this phenomenon to the improved pump technology and the
affordability of the better pumps in recent years.  Anyone in other
countries where pump use is not as rampant care to share their observations?
Is this uniquely a US experience?

It's very possible that the combination of fluid overload (after all, birth
practices have changed dramatically in recent years!) and unnecessary
pumping have contributed to this phenomenon.  Could it be that a mom starts
out with an "oversupply" because of edematous tissues caused by fluid
overload and then continues this "oversupply" because of unnecessary
pumping?>>

Pam, you expressed my thoughts better than I did - Maybe it's because
English was not my primary language.  I'm looking forward to reading others'
observations on this.  I was beginning to think it was "something in the
water" the women drink in my area.:-)   The over-pumping is probably the
biggest influence.  Could there also be a close association with the
retention of fluids because of pitocin/epidurals (getting closer and closer
to 100% in our hospitals)?

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC