From:
Denise Arcoverde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 08:44:34 -0300
I'm working to promote, protect and support breastfeeding since 1987, and,
during this period, I'm, also,
very interested in to know how is the breastfeeding in the other countries.

I never could used to in the USA (and other countries, too) it's not
accetable to breastfeed in public.

In Brazil this is a very, very "welcome behaviour" (sorry, I don't know if
it's the "correct expression", but, do you understand me? ). And all the
people looks to the mother, who is nursing in the public places, and gives
to her, and her baby, a big "smile".

It's usual to see woman breastfeeding in the beach, shoppings centers,
school meetings, churches, parties, weddings, bars (pubs?) etc.

When we organize public events (during the World Breastfeeding Week, for
example) it's very beautiful, because we can see 10, 20 women breastfeeding
their babies, together, in the square, park or other place.

Of course, we meet jealous men who don't like very much that your wife show
your breast in public, but this is a individual behaviour, and with some
words about the advantages of breastfeeding he, usually, agree that
breastfeeding is most important for his baby.

In spite of this not mean that the brazilian women breastfeed more than
american women (we have other problems), I'm sorry that you can't to feel
this wonderful freedom of to breastfeed in any place, any time.

I sincerely hope your power could change this situation, and the next
generation could do it, without troubles.

Love,

Denise Arcoverde
Grupo Origem/WABA Brasil/IBFAN Recife
http://www.elogica.com.br/aleitamento
Av. Beira Mar, 3661 Lj. 18 - Casa Caiada - Olinda - PE - 53130-540 - Brasil
Telefax: 55.81.4321913.