From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 08:57:09 -0600
My .02 worth on the issue of colic -- In Mali, West Africa, no babies have
colic.  Mothers, when queried, and offered a description of colic, did not
know any babies, ever, who acted like this -- not their own, not their
neighbors, not their friends, not their siblings, and so on.  These mothers
seldom (if ever) eat or drink dairy products except for perhaps milk in
coffee.  They don't eat soy.  Babies are fed "on cue" -- usually several
times an hour.  Babies are in someone's arms or tied to mother's back all
the time.  Babies are allowed to sleep when they like (not "put down" for
naps).  Babies are not burped, although they are usually in an upright
position except when feeding, so they are probably self-burped.

I think there are probably many factors contributing to colic in American
babies, including foremilk/hindmilk imbalance in some, lack of holding in
others, foods in the mother's diet in still others.  When telling mothers
to cut out all dairy, be sure to tell them *not* to replace all the cows'
milk in their diet with soy-based milk, as many babies are also upset by
soy products.  When my oldest had a "tummy ache" -- not colic -- we used to
lay her on the bed and "bicycle" her legs (move her legs around and around
like she was riding a bicycle) -- this helped get LOTS of gas out of her
lower intestines and seemed to relieve the pain, as she would then stop
crying.  I also think the timing of colic in US babies may have something
to do with diminishing milk supply in the late afternoons, early evenings,
due to mothers being very busy with end of day activities, such as
preparing for dinner.  Their milk supply may be low every day at the same
time because they have not been nursing often enough during the time
period.
-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html