From:
Monica Nyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 19:51:06 -0400
I received a puzzling question today and lack the expertise to answer
accurately.  A mother of a 10 week old is experiencing *extremely* dry eyes
and vision disturbances.  She has seen 3 docs and they all told her it was a
"side effect" of breastfeeding and she should wean her son to correct the
problem.  She is taking in extra water to insure hydration.  She is not on
medication but is diagnosed with Fibro Myalgia.  She also is suffering from
Sicca Syndrome (chronic dryness?) and has experienced corneal ulcers 3 times
in the past 8 years (all before her pregnancy) as well as vaginal dryness
starting in college.  I thought the reason for dryness of the eyes was pretty
self-explanatory given her history but the docs she has seen are blaming
breastfeeding.  Does anyone have any experience with these disorders and has
anyone heard that breastfeeding causes dry *eyes*?

Thanks in advance,
Monica Nyman--LLLL in Portland, OR who has been a longtime Lactnet lurker.