From:
Deborah Bernacchia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 21:26:06 -0400
Hi all
 I have a mother with serious over supply problems. It is day # 3 for
her, and she reported she has "golf balls" in her armpit, just like she
had the first time she breastfed 3 years ago. She said that she nursed
her first child for 12 months and constantly stuggled with over supply
and bouts of engorgement. We discussed cabbage leaves, frequent and
adequate breast feedings, dunking her breasts in a dish pan of warm
water and ice compresses for 20 minutes after each feed. I will be
seeing her tomorrow and if anyone has any other ideas to offer her,
please let me know! Also, I joking said to her that it was too bad there
was no milk bank around here, and she, very seriously responded by
saying "If it were convenient, I would be happy to regularly donate to a
milk bank".  My question is : What exactly is the procedure for a mom
who desires to donate milk? I think the closest milk bank to us (we're
in New Hampshire) would be Wocester Ma. Is anyone out there who could
tell me what the procedure is and how a mom in this area could donate
regularly?
   Thanks in advance!
   Deborah Bernacchia, RN,CLC< IBCLC hopeful this July!!