Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:59:56 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I,  (Jon Ahrendsen MD Family Practice) recently gave a talk at a small hospital (100 deliveries a year) with an another LC from Iowa.  I gave the "Why to BF" speech and also talked about "maternal illness and medication and BF"  and the LC gave the "Manage of Common Problems" and "How to help Latch" talk.  We have done variations on this about 8 times across the state of Iowa.

This time on the speakers comments I was struck by opposite view points of two attendees.  I quote below:

Person A  Both speakers were very knowledgeable, however it would have been a more positive experience for me had both speakers been female.  It is difficult for me to be objective of a man teaching breastfeeding, when he will never experience the frustrations of breastfeeding himself.

Person B  Topics covered were very informative, good up to date information.  Statistics given gave a good overall view of benefits of breastfeeding and drawbacks of bottle feeding.  I thought it was great that a male doctor has taken such an interest and is so informative about breastfeeding.  Many male doctors don't deal with this issue very (well) in depth.  (at least the ones I know.)

Well there you have it!  Both sides of the coin.  Actually I didn't teach about breastfeeding (the act), I talked about the "advantages" or rather why BF is the norm, and the special situations of maternal illness and medication, which is what so many doctors don't deal with in a BF friendly fashion. I was surprised by the first person's comment, as that is the first time anyone has written that on an evaluation.  It really doesn't bug me, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I thought it was ironic that these two opposing view-points came out of the same small group (about 12 attendees)

Everybody enjoy the Holidays!!
Jon

Jon Ahrendsen MD ABFP
& Becky 
parents of Andrea, Elizabeth and Karl
Clarion, Iowa 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2