From:
Sandy Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:41:18 -0400
Hello fellow Lactnettees!
Kathryn Dewey's research on growth of BF babies hit our local paper this
morning.  The article was from the Washington Post, titled *BF infants
thinner, but healthier*.  I then read on to two disturbing sections:

*The World Health Organization recommends that women breast-feed exclusively
during the first four to six months, then continue some breast-feeding
throughout the first year while formula and solid food are added to the
menu.*

*After their first year, breast-fed children catch up with their bottle-fed
playmates.*

Think someone was mis-quoted (or misinterpreted) WHO?  Or did some ABM
companies have a hand in this!  Maybe I am unaware of the actual WHO infant
feeding guidelines.  And here's that *BF for only the first 4-6 months* thing
again.  I feel the second quote is just a scream for education in our
society.  Why do BF children have to catch-up to bottle-feds?  Could it be
that bottle-feds are the ABnormal ones here?

It's so wonderful to have an understanding and supportive audience, I don't
feel so isolated since my daily life now includes Lactnetting! ;)

Sandy Arnold (IBCLC hopeful)
Bloomington, IN