Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:07:39 -0500
For your interest, I saw a mother today who has had 2 months of nipple pain,
problems with "not enough milk". I clipped the frenulum. It took less than a
second. The mother said that she could tell the difference immediately as
far as the pain was concerned. Before, each time the baby sucked she said it
felt like "a mosquito bite". That disappeared after the clipping.

Here is a simple procedure that even a paediatrician (like me) can do it. It
takes 1 second, and hardly ever bleeds. There is no proof that it makes any
difference, but every so often, I get a case such as this.  So, what's the
big deal. Paediatricians are willing to do circumcisions without blinking at
the idea. This is a lot less complicated, less dangerous and might actually
do some good, and we can't get anyone in Toronto to do it, except me.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC