From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:46:53 -0700
Having had to use some kind of formula to supplement my induced supply for
my adopted children, at least while they were small, I understand the
concerns of the mom who is interested in the organic formula.  I have not
really kept up with the details about the most recent formulas, and am not
familiar with this particular organic formula.  However, I think the fact
that the manufacturer specifies that this is a toddler formula, for children
over a year old, is enough evidence that it is not appropriate for a young
baby.

I know what a disappointment it is to have to concede to using formula, for
a mom who would much prefer that nothing but her own milk ever had to pass
her baby's gums.  However, I would try to assure this mom that formula is
nutritionally decent and, when combined with some amount of her breastmilk,
is an acceptable diet for a baby.  My feeling is that, for babies who don't
have dairy sensitivities, the best of the commercial formulas are the
milk-based formulas that contain lactose. Also, I always added probiotics
(acidophilus, bifidus, etc.) to whatever formula I was using.  My favorite
was Primadophlius for children, which dissolved completely, so it didn't
clog the Lact-Aid tube.  Since that bacteria is present in large amounts in
breast milk, I felt that it was making the formula one stop closer to breast
milk.   I felt like it made a definite difference in intestinal functioning
and gas problems, avoiding fungal infections, and keeping the baby sweet
smelling.

I would also really compliment this mom on the fact that she is providing
her baby with all of the functional  benefits of breastfeeding, despite the
need for the Lact-Aid.  I think, in all situations where a mother is unable
to provide enough breast milk for all of her baby's nutritional needs, to
have a happy mom and baby, who will continue to enjoy the benefits of
breastfeeding for a long time to come, it is essential to find a setup which
allows the mother to avoid worrying about her milk supply, constantly, and
be able to spend most of her time concentrating on the positive aspects of
what she is doing.  That is certainly one of the tricks that allowed me to
give my four youngest kids the benefit of staying at the breast until they
chose to wean.   It is important to find an acceptable supplemental formula,
figure out how to prepare Lact-Aids in a convenient way, where there will be
one ready to go whevever baby is ready to nurse, and let that become a
routine that does not have to be thought about much.  For milk supply, it is
also important to adopt some routines for maximizing milk supply, and then
avoid re-evaluating more than periodically (like every two weeks, or not
less than every one week).  The mom who is giving her baby unlimited access
to the breast, with the Lact-Aid as needed, can just use the same
indications that any nursing moms does, for making sure her baby is being
adequately fed, and reserve measuring formula intake and estimation of
breast milk production for doing periodically.

I am having a hard time explaining, without wordiness, so here is a sample
of a routine that I got into with my kids:

Each morning:

Mix up enough formula for the day, including a little more than baby usually
takes in 24 hours.  I added probiotics to the entire batch.

Wash and rinse all Lact-Aid pieces, assemble and fill units, and store in
fridge, keeping one ready to go, with the neck cord attached and adjusted.

Prepare one quart fenugreek/fennel tea.  (There are lots of variations, but
the idea is to have it become routine, and not be reevaluating constantly.)

One day every week or two:

Measure the amount of formula that goes into Lact-Aids and as well as the
amount that baby does not take.

This way, when the baby is ready to nurse, it takes only a few seconds to
get a Lact-Aid and get the baby nursing.    Mom should then concentrate on
relaxing and enjoying her baby.

Anyway, I have gotten carried away but, the bottom line, is to help any mom
who needs to provide alot of supplementation to be able to feel good about
what she is doing, and concentrate on her baby and not just her milk
production.  The true measure of success is a happy, healthy, baby, and any
mom who achieves that deserves to feel successful, regardless of how much
formula she might need to provide, through the Lact-Aid!  I think mothers
who have given birth and, for some reason, are unable to provide a large
amount of breast milk, tend to need even more encouragement to feel like
their efforts to breastfeed are well worth it, in benefits to their babies!

I would also refer this mom to the message boards at
www.fourfriends.com/abrw , and also the website for breastfeeding after
reduction.  Moms in both situations deal with similar issues, and could
provide practical help, as well as encouragement.

Aloha,
Darillyn