From:
Suzanne Millies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:56:28 EST
postpartum pt. with cardiomyopathy  (probably pregnancy induced) and had to
convince a resident and a student that it was OK  for her to breastfeed while
on captopril and the other meds she was on (as per Hale - I love that book!).
It was not an easy proposition convincing them and then later convincing the
Cardiologist who almost changed her Captopril to a drug that was not as BF
friendly, but I copied Hale's info. to put on her chart, and they agreed she
could breastfeed as long as we kept tabs on her meds. and any changes in them.
I will  never forget how my patients mood changed!  Can you imagine being told
there is something not quite right with your heart and then that you can't
breastfeed your baby (all in one breath!)?
She confided in me that being told she could'nt BF was almost as bad as her
diagnosis.   I wasn't sure what impression I had made on the docs (and would-
be
doc), but the next day the resident thanked me for educating them.  I'm  sure
he
also appreciated that the patient was no longer battling with them due to her
joy re being able to continue breastfeeding.  She called me last week to let
me know she is still breastfeeding monthes later and to thank me yet again.
So, Kathy et. al, don't
ever underestimate the good you can do by intervening on behalf of a
breastfeeding mom!