From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:10:10 -0400
> >This mom is expecting her 10th (yes 10th) child sometime this month. She is 41 years old and her oldest child is 21 years.
> >
> >After the birth of her sixth baby she had her thyroid removed. She is currently aking synthroid, although I'm not sure of the exact dose. I can find out f that information is helpful.
> >
> >Babies 7, 8 and 9 all had insufficient weight gain. Mom supplemented ABM with 2 of the three. She starts solids at 4 months and stops supplementing with ABM at that time.

Hmm,  no problems BF until babies post-thyroidectomy... I'd think this is the place to start with her and her other healthcare providers... Is replacement therapy sufficient for lactation? What's mother's nutritional and other health status? Any malabsorption issues? Any anemia?

Interesting also that BF seemed OK during 1st two weeks post-birth when hormonal factors would play more of a role.

Someone else asked about gestational age at birth of last 3 babies, and that's one of my questions too.

> >I forgot to add that her supply is not the issue. She has an abundant supply.

How was/is "abundant" production assessed? What outcomes or signs were present that led to the conclusion of abundance? Did that ever change over the course of lactation?

Karen G