From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 07:06:00 -0600
I will no longer use this phrase, in case people think I'm talking about
misrepresenting what I found!!!  Yikes!!

Still, in my field, and I've been doing research since 1980, I have *never
heard anyone* use the term to mean anything other than analyzing the data in
different ways to get it to tell you more.  Of course, it is well known that
UK English and US English are very different, and that people in different
parts of the US use terms differently, or use different terms altogether.
Among sociologists here at A&M, their idea of doing "qualitative
ethnographic research" is to spend 1-2 months interviewing people for a
dissertation project.  Among anthropologists, this is considered a joke.
Students in anthropology are expected to spend 1-2 YEARS doing research to
have enough idea of what is going on for a dissertation.

I doubt that most Americans outside Texas know what the phrase "She's fixing
to domino" means, even though those are all English words.  And the other
day, when it was only 65 degrees Fahrenheit, we were all complaining about
the "cold" even though it was much warmer here than in Vermont, where it is
almost that much below freezing this week.

Kathy D.