Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:15:02 -0600
Angela asked for stories of mixing formula. I'll send this to the list also.

I had a seemingly-of-normal-intelligence woman who mis-used pre-mixed
infant formula. I had worked with her for several days.

She was supplementing her breastfeeding. When I phoned her she said that
"today the formula is lumpy." I asked her if she stirred the powder well
and she said that she was using pre-mixed. Then I asked her if it got lumpy
before or after heating it. She said that she wasn't heating it but giving
it at room temperature. I asked when she opened the can and she said,
"yesterday."

The can had been sitting on the counter for about 30 hours. I told her that
it needed to be refrigerated immediately upon opening and she said that the
little bottles she got from the hospital didn't have to be refrigerated. I
explained that they were single-use bottles and were sealed before using.

I suggested that she read the instructions on the can. The refrigerating
instruction was on the side and she hadn't read it because she thought it
was the same that her baby took in the hospital. She realized that it was
spoiled and, "wisely", surmised that that was why her baby had been
spitting up much of what she gave him.

We know about these mis-uses because we keep up with our clients for some
time. Think of all of the families who don't have anyone asking them
questions.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]