From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 12:17:48 -0600
>Have a question about erythromiacin and BF.  My client has been given a
>prescrip. to take 500mg 4 times a day.  Can she BF while taking this amount?
> Or is this amount not good for baby?
>Also, if the dosage was reduced to 250mg 4 times per day, would this be ok
>for BF, or would this amount still not be good for baby?  Mom is pumping and
>dumping until we find out.  Have checked sources here, but have gotten no
>definitive answers.  Just the wishy washy kinds.
>TIA!
>Jay

To:  Jay
Re:  Erythromycin
From:  Red Book

E-MYCIN
Generic  = ERYTHROMYCIN
Category = Macrolide antibiotic
Milk levels ranged from 0.4 to 1.5 mg/L following a dose of 400 mg every 8
hrs in one study.    Other reports suggest 3-6 mg/L is secreted in milk.
Untoward effects on infant unlikely.  May modify  GI tract flora, but
unlikely.   AAP Compatible with breastfeeding.
AHL= 1.5-2 hrs.    M/P=                         PB= 84%
PHL=                       PK = 1-4 hrs.

TW Hale, Ph.D.