From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:20:09 -0500
> Has anyone come across this before? Its similarity to a hot flash of
> menopause made us wonder about hormones.  Allergy? Teething? Any other
> ideas?

My son did this as a baby.  He would get really hot, red and sweaty while
nursing, especially as he was falling asleep.  He continued to have hot
flashes periodically until he was about 5 years old (he is now 8).  He
nursed for 19 months.

They would happen with no warning, usually when we were out shopping or in
the car.  He would get hot and strip off his clothes.  Sometimes I would
look in the rearview mirror of my van and see him sitting in the back seat
only half dressed.  We had some blood work done, all normal, and he hasn't
had an "episode" in a couple of years.

I attributed as another one of his many oddities, but he was kind of an
allergic kid with lots of respiratory things/ear infections/rashes as a baby
and toddler.

Kathy
Kathy Koch, LLL Leader, BSEd, IBCLC
Great Mills, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]
"Parents are often so busy with the physical rearing of children that they
miss the glory of parenthood, just as the grandeur of the trees is lost when
raking leaves. ~Marcelene Cox ~