From:
Tricia Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:29:14 -0700
I know a CLC who is practicing as an IBCLC.  She has failed the exam twice,
but she has her own business, has had it for years , not under the
supervision of an IBCLC, charges as much as an IBCLC.  She has many hours
logged but alone,not under any supervision.  She has had another IBCLC, who
works in a hospital sign her off, but we know as a fact that she has been
an independent contractor for years.  She has her Bachelors in Journalism
or Writing, English or something, and goes to doctors offices, brings them
lunch, and get's their referrals.  We took care of a set of twins that
ended up in the hospital the day she saw them for dehydration, she did not
even detect the problem.  It is difficult for us because we live in a small
town and word would get around that we exposed her.  A nurse practitioner
friend says that someone has to say something, but she is unwilling.  This
person has applied for the test twice, failed, yet she still markets
herself as a lactation consultant.  What should we do?