Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:39:49 -0500
Gosh, how timely!  I am having a *week* of these moms (and it's only
Tuesday, HELP!).  At WIC we loan pumps to moms who have babies in the
NICU or are having some serious breastfeeding difficulty.  I had seven
calls yesterday from moms wanting these pumps because they wanted the
baby to have breastmilk but "couldn't get the baby latched on".  I'll
save the boring details but suffice it to say these moms were NOT
willing to do what it takes to get the baby to breast.  Two refused
and office consult because they had already seen "lots" of LC's and
why can't you just give me a pump!, one wanted to begin nursing after
2 months of bottle feeding because she heard it was better (some small
progress there), and one actually threatened to start giving her baby
formula if I didn't ante up with the pump!  Good grief!

Then there was the one who wanted the pump because her baby is 3
months old and she is still leaking.  She never breastfed and did not
have any intentions of breastfeeding but had heard from her cousin
that we would give her a pump so she could get the milk out and stop
leaking!  AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  That was the topper.

Theresa Chmiel in sunny, COOL Florida
closing my door and not answering my phone today...