From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:45:27 +1000
At 00:00 12/9/00 -0400, Kathy wrote:
>but that fat content changes linearly as the feeding or milk
>expression session continues, with fat content rising as the time line
>continues.
>
>The person who asked me was told that there was no such thing as foremilk
>and hindmilk,

Kathy that person should be told to listen to you more closely - they are
doing themselves out of an excellent learning opportunity from someone who
knows what she is talking about.

>entity of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is>not really an entity, but is
really, too much low>calorie milk at one time..<snip> before he has a
chance to get higher fat content.

Yes... though it's not so much the calories that are the problem but what
the baby got the calories from.  Babies self-regulate how much milk they
will take, and I believe that they 'feed for calories'.  (Cathy Fetherston
is that right?)
If the breastmilk is low fat content, say from a very full breast which
hasn't been fed from for some time, then the baby will need to consume more
milk then he would have needed to had the breast been a little emptier and
the fat content increasing (in that linear fashion you described) from a
higher starting point (fat having twice the calorie count that lactose does).

So... he had to consume more milk to achieve the same calorie intake.
Little fat is in his stomach to delay stomach emptying and so, as you
describe, a larger feed gets 'dumped' a little too prematurely into the
intestines where all that lovely lactose causes the problems.

>I think it is another term for breastfeeding>mismanagement, perhaps?

In some cases yes - but not all.  We abundant producers of breastmilk
(Australia is noted for this, is it not ;-)  ) despite wonderful management
do sometimes have to deal with this for a while before it begins to settle
down.

 Lactose is in breastmilk, and babies have lactase,
>and more of it as they grow older...

Hmmm....  don't know your definition of 'older' but it is pretty well known
that in many cultures (mostly the ones where animal milks weren't a part of
their diet ie. Australian aboriginal, American Indian, most Asians) that
after weaning from their mothers they do become lactose intolerant because
they don't produce lactase much anymore.

so it is not a lactose intolerance
>either, but simply akin to the "dumping " syndrome that adults can have,
>where they have too much of a good thing at one time.  Am I correct?

Yes - absolutely!

Denise