From:
Heleen Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:26:25 +0200
On 30 Jun 2003 at 6:26, Chris Mulford wrote:

> Someone told me that Medela is making a nipple sizing tool-a card with
> different size holes in it. If they are, this would be a great boon to
> LCs. It would have to be disposable, but then we'd all be able to
> learn more about the normal range of nipple sizes, and also whether
> size changes as the breast changes. How do nipples on engorged breasts
> compare with their pre- and post-engorgement size?

Very interesting topic.
When I was young, we had a drawing toy with which we could draw
cirles of all sizes, each circle was about a mm wider than the next.
If you are interested in doing such a research this may be a cheap
and reusable toy (I am sure it can be washed with hot water and
dishwashing liquid, not sure about sterilizing by boiling).
(it is something like the stencil art set that Tupperware sell, but
for profesionals, I have seen it in shops that sell office suppllies)

I have done a quick search and it is something like this:
http://www.xkms.org/Art-Supplies-Rulers-and-Straight-Edges/Century-
Photo-Circle-Ruler-(Rulers).htm  or the tiny url:
http://tinyurl.com/fmas

Or, alternatively, use a special ruler that you can use to measure
the diameter of circular objects:
http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~kl010/gereedschap/schuifmaat.htm
(Dutch site, but it is almost without text and it is the  picture
that is important). I think that would make the study a lot more
acurate than have moms guess the size of their nipple with an
ordinary ruler.

On the other hand it may be a bit daunting to moms to have such an
aparatus at their nipple...
---
Heleen Hayes
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hhayes