From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:08:16 PST
Carol
I see your point and would love to see 24 hr ibclc coverage eventually.
However, I still contend that if the regular staff were appropriately
trained (for lack of a better word) in caring for bf families, then they
COULD handle the baby born at 2 am Sunday morning that won't latch. And
I don't mean get out the nipple shield right then either. They could
even assist the mom who has a baby born with cleft palate or a baby born
at 26 wks at 2am. I think the bigger problem is not having an ibclc
there on w/e. I wish we just had Saturday coverage. I think having
someone on call could work. After all, we don't just walk in and wave
the magic wand and fix it. We may work with the family for
days/weeks/months. Actually in lots of places the neonatologist is on
call and the nurses are there 24 hrs by themselves and taking care of
these critical babes. Start the resuscitation, etc. It would be better
for the babies to have the neo in house 24 hrs but it is not always
possible.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, SE USA - cold again in the low 50's F(well that's
could to us!) and going to my kids' Mardi Gras school parade.