From:
June Eastman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:29:45 EST
This thread is making me totally unable to keep a sort of funny, sort of sad
story to myself.

Last week I was counseling a client with a baby about six months old, and she
related to me that she would have stopped nursing, except for the advice of
her baby's doctor.

I of course, perk up....and ask her how her MD had helped her, (a local
family medicine MD).

"Well, about two months ago, she went through this phase of refusing to take
the breast. She wouldn't open her mouth! (Four months, seems like nursing
strike to me.) So I called my doctor, and he told me to put her to breast,  and
pinch her nose shut till she opened her mouth! So that's what worked."

I'm sure my mouth opened even wider then the baby's mouth had at this story.

I think I stammered something like. "Well I wouldn't have thought to give
that advice, but I'm glad it worked for you."

I'm wondering how many mad miserable screaming babies we have in town totally
turned off from breastfeeding from that horrible advice.
I am truly happy it did work for this family. (And still not about to give
that advice!)

June Eastman, B.S., M.Ed, IBCLC,
Lawrence Massachusetts WIC Program