From:
- KParkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 02:05:05 -0400
Judy,
Like Yaffa, I too get phone calls from mothers-to-be wanting pump information
and planning to pump as soon as they arrive home.  I probably talk more moms
(and dads and grandmas) out of rentals than I give pumps to!  Many of the
younger Hispanic moms (higher income especially)  do not want to put the baby
to the breast at all, preferring to pump and give EBM in a bottle.  On the
other hand, I have many clients who keep the pump well over one year, pumping
while at work or school, and continuing to breastfeed well into toddlerhood.
 I think, for these moms, extended nursing might not have been an option
without a pump.  It can be a hard fence to sit astride, trying to make money
with pump rentals and yet trying to keep moms and babies together and
breastfeeding as much as possible!

Kathy Parkes, RN, IBCLC
San Antonio, TX