From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:02:50 -0500
Marian asks for studies supporting skin to skin as a method of warming a baby and the effect of the early bath on temp stabilization of a neonate.  I posted this very query to this group a few months ago because we are reevaluating how this is handled in our hospital.  We have seen more
breastfeeding problems associated with the common handling of cold stress in a baby currently, which is putting baby under the warmer, in the nursery, away from mom.  The answers I got were most helpful, so I'll summarize.  Our esteemed listmom, Rachel, suggested looking up studies published by
Kyllike Christensson and I found several that were applicable with a Pubmed search, so try that.  Also, an article that was suggested: Porter, R & Winber, J (1999).  Unique salience of maternal breast odors for newborn infants.  Neuroscience & Behavioral Reviews. 23(3) p 439-449.  Also, remember
that the 10 Steps that baby should be left with mom until after the first breastfeeding.  I would hope that this first feeding would be a complete one, not 'cursory' in the interest of getting the tasks (meaning the bath and paperwork) done.  I got a neat post from someone in Australia who said that
when they built their new unit, they included a room that had a bath built into the counter.  There the parents give the first bath with guidance from staff (usually on day after birth) and thereafter whenever they feel one is needed.  This post said that it was the most photographed room in the
hospital!  I showed this to our unit manager, who thought this was a really unique idea.  Since we are in the process of planning and building 3 new units/hospitals, I am in hopes this idea might be implemented here!  (One can always hope!)

Marsha, who finally got a call from her son last night!  Yes, he's fine...sigh....  ;-)

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.