From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:50:55 -0400
Dear all:

In Heather's claim that I was more wrong than I thought, I think I did not provide enough information for Heather to realize what I really thought about how many health care practitioners think about the growth curves.

First, I actually did read peer reviewed articles and opinion pieces from a few British researchers who were arguing against a policy of adopting the WHO growth curves.  I found some of these on my own and also found some of these cited in Magda Sach's work.   There a many researchers who have attempted to argue that growth in different populations is genetically different or "special" due to the particular circumstances in which those populations live. In fact, the wide body of evidence refutes any sort of ethnic differences in growth to any substantial degree.  Most of the populations differences can be explained by diet.  What occurs on a population basis is quite different from what occurs within populations -- whereby particular individuals and families may have a genetic potential for being shorter or taller within the "normal" bell shaped population curve.

Second, yes of course I was aware that Magda Sach's work showed what were (in my opinion poorly trained) clinic workers emphasizing the 50th percentile of the growth curves who were supposed to be helping breastfeeding mothers.  And yes indeed this appeared to increase the unnecessary use of formula supplementation.  This is definitely not unique to Great Britain, I have seen this in many places where I have worked and constantly combat that notion here in Manhattan.

One of the very important roles that IBCLCs can provide is a sophisticated approach to growth whereby every avenue is explored to getting at the underlying reason for that poor growth from the most common occurrences which typically involve the many varied ways in which mothers and babies are interfered with during the process of getting into sync with each others rhythms and needs after birth to the less common medical conditions such as metabolic disorders or cardiac problems.

Basically, the notion that formula should be a cure-all is inexcusable given the research that is available.  My son would call it "so last century".  In the 21st century there really is no excuse for such an approach.

Sincerely
Susan E Burger