From:
Julius Edlavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:48:30 -0600
Every Monday Night 9PM NY TIME we have Lactation Chat lead by
Kay Hoover IBCLC from Pennsylvania
Kim Burlingham MD from Texas

Sunday April 6  2PM NY Time "Hypnosis in Pediatrics" Dan Kohen MD
Sunday April 13 2PM NY Time "Down Syndrome" William Cohen MD
*In Espaniol Only* Sunday April 20 1PM NY Time "Bronchiolitis" Carlos Milla MD
Sunday April 20 2PM NY Time "Bronchiolitis" Carlos Milla MD
Sunday April 27 2PM NY Time "Torsion of the Testicles" Rama Jayanthi

April 20th sesion will be back to back
1st hour spanish 2nd hour english

*****SPECIAL SESSION*****
AAP Spring meeting in San Diego
Monday May 12th at 2:30 PM NY time 8:30 PM Central European time
Thalasemia Case Presentation
by Denis Vulic MD from Split Croatia
Down discussion questions
1.Health guidlines for children who have Down Syndrome
2.Techniques to break the news to parents
3.Alternative therapies for children who have Down Syndrome
Dr Cohen's CV
William I Cohen MD is a Developmental/Behavioral Pediatrician who
directs the Down Syndrome Center of Western Pennsylvania
located at the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
He is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
Dr Cohen is co-founder and co-chair of the Down Syndrome Medical Interest
Group,
and medical editor of Down Syndrome Quarterly
He is editor of the upcoming revision of
the "Health Care Guidelines for Individuals with Down Syndrome,"

Thalasemia Case History Presented by
Denis Mladinik-Vulic, M.D. from Split,Croatia

THE ANEMIA WHICH DID NOT RESPOND TO THERAPY

At well-child visit, remarkable pallor in the skin and mucous membranes
was seen in a 5 month old female infant. Except this, the physical
examination was normal. Laboratory findings pointed out the hemoglobin
value of 8.8g/dL and the
hematocrit of 28%. Oral administration of simple ferrous sulfate salts was
started. A
month later the infant was still pale but had a good weight gain with a
soft systolic murmur. The spleen and liver now showed enlargement. The
infant's mother gave the iron with good compliance. She said that she had
anemia all her life and her brother, too.
The reviewed newborn history of our patient showed us that on the third day
of life this child had her highest value of jaundice with a total bilirubin
of 16.5mg/dL. On the10th day she received a transfusion due to the anemia.
The child was full term with birth weight of 3,7 kilograms. No other
perinatal abnormal events were seen.

What is the differential diagnosis for this child?
What tests should be run to evaluate the clinical findings?
What is the long term treatment for such a child?
What familial and genetic counseling should be done?

Denis Mladinik-Vulic, M.D.
I work as a pediatrician  in the Pediatric Group Practice "Mertojak"
at Split,Croatia. I was born in Split in 1960. I graduated at the
University of
Zagreb in 1985. As a school medicine doctor I worked between 1986 and 1992.
My pediatric residency was done at Clinical Hospital "Rebro" in Zagreb and
was finished at December, 1996. I also finished postgraduate studies of
Clinical Pharmacology. Now, I am working as a general pediatrician in group
practice of the four pediatricians.
During my residency the following researches were done: chilies ascots,
congenital mV, epidemiology of cystic fibrosis and epidemiology of cerebral
palsy. I am most deeply
interested in child neurology.