Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:04:57 EDT
Nikki  says,

<<How is  IBCLC(student) different to  PhD(cand.)?>>

Nikki -- thanks for  asking this.  I have been thinking EXACTLY the same
thing!  People use  the term PhD candidate -- or even, PhD ABD (All But
Dissertation) a lot -- and I  don't know that anyone has been sued over it.

For a long time I've  viewed our prospective IBCLCs in three groups:  The "LC
Student" (who is  taking her coursework), the "LC Intern" (who has completed
her coursework, and  is now working just on accruing her breastfeeding
consultancy hours), and the  "IBCLC Candidate" who has applied to take the IBCLC exam
and has been accepted  by the IBLCE to take said exam.  This in no way
diminishes the title of  IBCLC -- and it really tells people where this person
stands in relationship to  the credential -- I've done the work, I've been accepted
to take the exam, and  I'm now waiting to either (a) take it, or (b) hear the
 results.

Should I confess to 3000+ people and admit that I might be The Culprit in
this Name Game?  A few years ago when students from our BSC and then LEC  course
wanted to know what they could call themselves after they completed our
course, I, in (truly!!) all innocence, told them they could call themselves LC
Interns (because they had finished the coursework), and once they had been
accepted to sit the exam, then "IBCLC Candidate."  I've been roundly  chastised
for doing so, have offered my most humble apologies and mea culpas for  my
horrendous faux pas, and will never allow the words "IBCLC Candidate" to  cross my
lips (or keyboard) again.

But I still haven't a clue as to what is wrong with it.  Or why it is
suit-worthy.

I better not even say this is my 2 cents worth for fear of needing said two
cents in the future.

And if it IS suit-worthy, then I'd like a double-breasted, pin-striped navy
-- pleated front, but no cuffs, please.

Jan