From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 23:03:26 -0500
Here are your questions with my answers:
In the end, all I need to know is WOULD IT HURT? maybe

To...take domperidone while pregnant? don't have my book here, it's at work,
but it could be ok. is reglan used during pg for stomach ailments, and if
so, then domperidone is likely ok. however, as these meds increase prolactin
levels, i am not sure if it would work during pg. becoz prolactin levels
would be low whilst nursing a toddler, and i believe there is an inhibiting
factor til after the placenta is delivered. just do some homework on
domperidone and use in pg for it's labeled use. drugs that are safe during
bf may not be safe during pg, due to teratogenic effects or such on the
developing fetus. i don't remember the gestation of this mother.
To take galatogogue herbs while pregnant? i am not knowledgeable about
herbal use in pg, so I would consult a person who was or maybe motherlove
herlals in colorado who make tinctures for various stages of the
childbearing cycle. like someone else said possibly use the herbs known to
help grow or enhance glandular tissue during pg.
To pump while pregnant? i am of the opinion that since milk supply generally
goes down as pg progresses, even with a "normal" producing mother and a
toddler who is demanding more, that extra pumping would not help. mother's
are often tender at the nipples and toddlers sometimes wean at this time due
to the low production.
To continue nursing the toddler while pregnant? i beleive this is fine and
mothers who do nurse toddlers thru a pg often get a fast and furious milk
supply with the newborn, so of anything, i think this is the most do-able
and most likely to impact results she wants - i.e. a better supply for
newborn.
To do anything else? my focus would be on preparing mother for a good bf
experience, a good and safe birth, continuous access to her newborn, letting
her know you will follow closely and help as needed, letting her know some
things that help with supply after birth like galactagogues, extra
expressing, avoidance of known milk supply downers like separation from
infant, not nursing often, inferior pumps, and certain meds, etc; letting
her know that her long term nursing and the intervening pg should have
helped her production capability, and that she/we know more this time, and
will intervene early if needed. i would not recommend that mother focus and
do alot of the above interventions during this pg, as per my comments. also
i might remind her how successful she has been to be continuing to nurse
into toddlerhood, and that she will be successful agian.

Maybe you think it would do 'no good', but would it HURT? see above

Hope this helps you some, Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC  MISSISSIPPI USA