From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:28:16 -0500
It is becoming apparent to us  that as we get bigger and bigger, and this
person tells that person how great Lactnet is..etc that we will be getting
more and more requests for personal help, such as those which have been
occurring in the past week. PLEASE do not answer these posts unless you plan
on looking up an LC in their area as a referral.  This will only snowball
the personal requests that LACTNET will receive ("I found this great place
on the internet where I got lots of of info from LACTNET, why don't you sign
on and just ASK!".)  The use of LACTNET as a bb for people with lactation
difficulties is dangerous and undermines LCs as a profession. I will be
directing personal  inquiries/clients to an LC in their area by looking one
up in the ILCA directory. Referrals to LLL will also be made.   I ask that
you *** al***l do this also..Traffic is high enough on this list
already..and we cannot be a bb for mothers in need, much as we all feel for
people needing help.  This is the new welcome paragraph that was added today
to the LACTNET WELCOME message.  Any comments or problems can be directed to
me. THanks!

****WE WELCOME YOU AS A LACTATION PROFESSIONAL, LLL LEADER, RN, ETC  TO
LACTNET!!******

>IF you are NOT a professional, and are seeking advice with your own
lactation situation...Please know that a list exists for this type of
situation.   Parent-L. is  an alternate list where many people find
assistance.  Parent-l is a list for mother to mother (and father,
grandfather, sister, interested bystander, support for breastfeeding and
parenting issues. Parent-L contains  all sorts of parenting/breastfeeding
issue discussions , and many threads that occur in  LACTNET  also occur on
parent-l, but tend to come from personal experience rather than case
management perspectives. For info on joining PARENT-L, contact

>Personal inquiries on LACTNET are not acceptable.  If you would like to
find a Lactation consultant in your area...you may email
[log in to unmask], with your city, and I will try to locate an LC for you.
You can also contact your local La Leche League Leader for assistance.  LLL
can be found by calling your local postpartum unit at your local hospital.
If you post personal notes asking for assistance on LACTNET, your
SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE DELETED. Direct questions to [log in to unmask] or
[log in to unmask] Thank you.************************************

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLLeader
Co-Owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
"We read to know we are not alone." Shadowlands,  C.S. Lewis