From:
Marilyn Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 08:01:54 -0400
Given the history of epidural, continued weight loss, frequent feedings and
no BM's, I would think that the feedings should be assessed first hand. Is
the baby well positioned and latched on well, can you see/hear swallows? are
there deep rhythmic jaw movements?
The baby may be "at the breast" a lot, yet not nursing effectively, thus not
getting enough milk. The SNS at the breast will help to teach the mom just
what good sucks and swallows should look and feel like.
Also, I would have mom keep a diary of the feedings, intake, output,
supplement,
audible sucks/swallows etc. Let us know how things turn out.
Marilyn