From:
Brian Tordoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 14:21:12 -0500
In reading some of the messages over the past 2 days on "insufficient
milk" I noticed some reference to the growth charts.  I , too, feel that
they should only be used as a screening tool.
The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) growth standards for the
0-36 mos. growth charts are based on the FELS study done on 867 infants
in an area of Ohio between 1929-1975.  The study population was white,
middle class, and most infants were exclusively bottle-fed or were
breastfed for a relatively short period of time.  Another drawback was
that the measurements were taken every 3 mos. rather than, at least,
monthly.  Remember, too, that formulas have changed dramatically in
composition during this period.
For those of you who are interested, an excellent article on the
evaluation of infant growth can be found in the Bulletin of the World
Health Organization, 73(2): 165-174, 1995.

Debbie McClurg-Hitt, RD, LC
through the contact below

Brian Tordoff, Librarian
MO Dept of Health