From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 07:47:25 EDT
Dear Friends:
    After reading Renee's post about let-down feelings, I am  reminded of
other women who don't have any of the classic signs of let-down  reflex, at least
not after the milk volume increases.
    Most women I have encountered feel either  sleepy/thirsty/or crampy in
the first few days (Mulford JHL 1994......I think  that's the year of Chris's
most excellent article). Once lactogenesis II has  gotten going, some won't feel
any signs of MER.
    The classic signs I have heard are the  cramping/balling/tingling/pins
and needles feelings. Some women feel a burst of  warmth. Some women get weepy,
depressed, headachy or nauseous; sometimes  feelings are stimulated more by
one side than the other.
    Women who don't feel anything can be worried.  They've "read the books";
they "know what is supposed to happen". Haven't some  LactNets known women to
call because they doubt their let-down reflex, despite a  thriving baby or a
refrigerator full of pumped milk?
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative