Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:36:03 EDT
Carol -- ummmm -- rants...

<< "we want to give your
 baby formula by bottle instead of having you breastfeed. we want to do this
 because we don't really think it makes any difference if you breastfeed, and
 we can tell from the statistics that you are highly unlikely to ever
 successfully breastfeed this baby anyway, because of our policies; it doesn't
 matter if your baby is at a much higher risk of getting NEC and other
 life-threatening diseases or complications because, heck, we put in g tubes
 every day and you can still feed your baby that way for the rest of his life
 after he loses a bunch of his intestines from the NEC, and they don't all
 die, anyway; we know you can't be here to breastfeed every time the baby is
 scheduled to eat because we do everything we can to drive you away and make
 you really uncomfortable when you ARE here, so you can't exactly expect US to
 nurse him when you are gone, and we don't know how to use anything except
 bottles; if you try to feed the baby, we can't measure how much he gets and
 you take so darn long since we don't know how to teach you anything that will
 help with breastfeeding, so your baby gets too tired and has to go back in
 the isolette to REST (and you can't do kangaroo care), and anyway,
 breastfeeding is so stressful and tiring to your baby that, even though some
 nut published some so-called scientific studies showing that bottlefeeding is
 more dangerous and more stressful and more tiring, we are going to insist
 that it is really breastfeeding that is worse, and that when you insist on
 "doing that" you are really causing your baby to get so overtired that he
 might die; and if all those things haven't convinced you about why we oughta
 to give your baby formula, just remember, if he's a preemie, he's already
 gotten some in the form of "fortifier," which we put in your milk because it
 isn't good enough, so it won't matter if he gets more formula now anyway, and
 if he has allergies and all those other health problems for the rest of his
 life that we know are associated with introduction of formula, well, so what?
 lots of people have those things and still live their lives. what are drugs
 for, anyway? >>

Now Carol, how about telling us what you REALLY think??  =Þ

Jan B.