From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2014 05:46:23 -0400
Susan asks if anyone has "had any experience in approaching the courts
regarding improving their knowledge about breastfeeding?"

Sigh.  I feel your pain, Susan.

Family law courts handle divorce, custody, visitation,
parental/grandparental rights, in the United States. Depending on the
family's circumstances, there can be social service/child protection laws
and regulations woven into family law matters before the court.

Family law courts are notoriously parochial, and each courtroom operates
(as Jake Marcus has aptly described it) as a fiefdom under the exclusive
control of that judge.  That judge is supposed to follow or apply the law,
but the manner in which the courtroom proceedings are conducted (including
things like being able to BF in the courtroom), and how the witnesses and
evidence will be heard, is very much controlled by that individual.

And any case before a judge is fact-driven: What is happening with *these*
people *here today* and how do I make a ruling, applying the law to *their
facts?*  If you're lucky, a lawyer has been appointed to protect the baby's
interests (independently of the parents' interests), or one of the parties
is using an IBCLC expert witness either in case prep or before the court.

I cannot honestly see a scenario where a bunch o' judges would think it is
worth their time and trouble to learn more about one aspect of parent care,
of the millions of aspects of parent care and spousal support, that go into
their decision-making. They'd say to themselves: "Well harrumph, I may
never need to decide a matter involving BFg, and if I do, I'll just ask the
lawyers in the room to brief me or call witnesses."

So that, I think, is your hook.  I love love love the idea of getting
family law attorneys up-to-speed on understanding the importance of BFg in
their work.  Lawyers, like IBCLCs, need continuing education.  Local bar
associations (run by each county, or state) offer CLEs (continuing legal
education) all the time.  Team up with a lawyer in your area (to sign off a
a course planner, even if you do 99% of the work and presenting).  Heck --
you could offer up a talk on BFg not only in family law situations, but
matters like: ACA, BFg in public, workplace discrimination in light of the
pump-at-work law, etc.

If you educate the lawyers, they will be better able to advocate for their
clients, and to educate EACH judge they stand before.
--
Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC, FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA