From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 21:47:17 -0700
I am NOMAIL right now, but before I leave for vacation (spring break here!),
I wanted to say a word about WIC incentives influencing breastfeeding rates.

I co-authored two articles based on a study sponsored by USDA, one article
appearing in the Journal for the American Dietetic Association and the other
from the Journal of Community Health.  Our study asked, "do providing
incentives increase breastfeeding rates among WIC clients?"  We did find
that the incentives in themselves did not convince or influence moms to
breastfeed.  What we DID find is that the incentives GREATLY influenced
couples to attend prenatal breatfeeding classes (and we did invite fathers
and significant others with incentive gifts appropriate for that group, i.e.
bowling certificates, sports equipment, etc.)

If there are any WIC people out there who are interested in reading these
articles, contact me by private E-Mail.

Getting ready to sunbathe in SUNNY California,
BRENDA PHIPPS, BS, IBCLC