Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:09:03 -0300
Just a question: does switch nursing help (at least marginally) in
retaining the supply in both breasts? Would a very sleepy baby, kept on
the same breast, be even less likely to stimulate the supply in the
other breast?
I know the idea of switch nursing was promoted before Hartman's
research, and I wonder how that would affect it... it seems to me that
if the supply is low, feeding the baby off alternating breasts would
help stimulate a more empty breast to produce faster and fattier... but
I may be misunderstanding this.
It was so easy for me to remember "too fast, same breast; too slow,
switch breasts" for me to give it up until I have figured it out.
I agree completely with Mary Kay's recommendation of including breast
compression among the approaches to sleepy babies. I discover new things
to recommend it every day: for some moms, it helps adjust a bad latch
and can do a better job than massage of stimulating let-down. And in the
worst cases, it is a good way to squirt a bit of milk into the poor
sucker's mouth.
Jo-Anne