From:
Laura Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 1995 13:49:10 -0400
Dear Lactnetters,

        Since my orginal post on the breastfeeding & child custody case appears to have gone astray, I am
reposting.  A single mother of a nursing 2 1/2 year old is being sued for custody by her son's father.  He has
accused her of "abusive" parenting.  The alleged abuses include her uncomplicated homebirth 2 1/2 years ago and
her continued public nursing of their son.  She nurses him at LLL and parent support meetings.  Father is
superficially involved in son's life and pays minimal child support.  Mother works as a breastfeeding peer
counselor with WIC moms and does freelance jobs in order to be with her child as much as possible.  If father wins
physical custody, son will be taken from his mother, presumably weaned, and placed in day care full time.  A
compromise offered by the dad is for him to get legal custody but allow son to remain with mom while dad makes all
decisions regarding education, living arrangements, etc.  The preliminary hearing is August 28th.  If anyone has
any experience or insights in this area, please e-mail me directly.  I will forward all replies to the mother
involved.  We can fill that courtroom with moms nursing toddlers but I don't think that would win the case.  I'll

laura hankins, rn mommy to dorrie 1/22/94 & andrew 10/5/92

e-mail address:  [log in to unmask]