From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:52:35 -0700
My vote is for a second or third opinion. Speaking as one who did have
surgery on a lactating breast (for a large plugged duct that the OB &
surgeon thought was cancer - long story). They did set in a drain tube and
I had to tend to it carefully, but the interruption in nursing or pumping
was only from the time I was given the "happy shot" until I was back in my
room and coherent.
My suggestion is that the surgeon make the incision radially, i.e. like the
spoke of a wheel with the nipple as the hub & out toward the perimeter.
There is less risk of cutting ducts and having them forever occluded by
scar tissue. The drain tube can be placed so it points away from the
nipple, and covered by the bra or a light dressing to protect it during
nursing or pumping.
Phyllis

> My comments: she could wean on the affected breast, or (preferably) see
> another surgeon with more experiecne w/ lactating breasts who could
operate,
> or (also a good idea IMO) have the current surgeon call around to find an
> expereicned surgeon who could discuss w/ him the management of the pt
> surgically and post op. Good luck to her. I hope she gets
help/relief/keeps
> nursing.
>
> Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
> New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA