From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:13:17 +0100
Calpol syrup and anti-histamine syrup being used frequently.  There is a
brand with both combined, that is used a great deal at the moment.

My next door neighbour, who has three sons in their twenties, asked how
my then 3 month old was doing, and when I said fine, said "It's that
spoonful of calpol in their last bottle, that's the magic."  So they'd
each been dosed every single night.  It's also common to double the
amount of formula powder at night.

A recent anonymous survey on one of the Mum's forums, asked if the Mum
had ever drugged their baby to sleep, and 70% of those said yes...
that's how I knew about the combined paracetamol and anti-histamine syrup...

Any formula claiming sleep properties will be readily snatched up here,
I imagine.  For those who've not read it, the report on how mothers
discuss formula and it's various attributes online, by the Caroline
Walker Trust, is well worth a read.

"I hear it's the closest to breast milk":
http://www.cwt.org.uk/pdfs/Formula_PTBReport.pdf

Rather frightening to consider the effect of this sort of 'sleep
inducing' formula AND dosing the baby with pain killers and anti-histamines.

Morgan Gallagher