From:
Eileen Ahearn-Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:07:59 -0400
I would like to issue several cautions about media
"appearances"---what gets published may not be what you intended.
I was interviewed several years sago for a national  television
program, Marketplace.  I spent at least four hours
on the phone with the producers, and they travelled with their star
interviewer to my office for the taping which took over three hours. I
was on screen for less than FIFTEEN seconds.

Friday I was interviewed by phone about a custody case for the local
newspaper---I am quoted as saying that I have grave concerns about a
weekend separation of a five week-old baby from his mother, but I
believe that seven hours should not put the mother or baby in danger.
  Well yes, I did say that, but not all
together, I did give many cautions about a seven hour separation,
and I insisted most strongly that two or three shorter visits with dad
would be much better for everyone concerned, mother, father, and
especially baby.   So I guess I spend this weekend writing at least a
letter to the editor and probably an Op-Ed piece to explain my
position and I hope make life easier for a poor baby caught in the middle
of his warring parents.

So, beware producers bearing gifts--thy could be Trojan horses!
Eileen Ahearn-Shea, BSc, IBCLC, Caledonia, ON, Canada