From:
Marilee Woodworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 12:00:34 -0400
Anne Eglash mentioned underlying causes of nipple blisters. I have seen some
that seemed to be related to a plugged duct in the nipple or close to it. It
has made me wonder if what we are seeing on the nipple is a true blister or
part of the plug of milk or nipple skin tissue growing across the duct
because milk is in stasis there. These plugs can be very stubborn and
painful. A method recommended by Jan DeCoopman, author of Breastfeeding For
Health Professionals is the old juice jar method. You pour boiling water into
a wide mouth jar, pour it out, cool the rim with a wet cloth, insert breast
and cool the outside of the jar. This creates a vacuum on the whole area, not
just the nipple. Any thoughts on this?
Marilee Woodworth,IBCLC, Private Practise, LLL Leader, Mother of Peter 22,
Rosie 19, and Ellen 10 (who is away at camp so I had time to add this
personal information,) Wife to Gary who is gone a lot, Caregiver to Rollo, a
Keeshond (furry dog) who stays in the basement in this weather and Tessie,
the cranky cat. But she's sooo cute.