From:
jon&nola westphal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:18:14 -0800
Hi everyone!
I am Nola Westphal, MD, another new subscriber, been reading lactnet for
a couple weeks now and hooked!  I'm glad to have found some friends that
are as passionate as I about BFing!  I agree, it's loaded with
issues--environmental, governmetn, politics, sexual, parenting, macro,
micro economics, women's lib, workforce equality, health, culture...
I am a FP, practicing OB/Peds/adult medicine (and most recently
specializing in influenza) in Menomonie, WI, just 20 miles west of Eau
Claire--DAIRY CENTRAL--where milk prices are set.
I fully BF my now 2 year old who weaned herself at 18 mos without my
consent.  It's impossible to force an 18 month old to latch on!  I went
to only one LL meeting, didn't feel like I fit in as I work and LOTS of
different issues.  Wish there were support groups for working, BFing
moms! I was lucky and didn't have to go back to work until she was 6
months old and had a freezer full of pumped milk.
I am on a committee at our local hospital --trying to become bfing
friendly--the wheels turn very slow-- and also on an area BFing Task
Force--our main objective is working with local employers, educating them
on the importance of working mothers continuing to BF, pump at work, etc.
I have lots of thought that I've been to afraid to bring up with others,
so this may be long, but probably  will be my only note.
#1-- We have become a mechanized, robotic, pill-popping, quick fix
society.  Everything comes pre-packaged in nice little boxes and
wrappers, we have no connection with the source of our food anymore.  Why
not give our infants something out of a can, that's how everybody gets
there food anyway, what could it hurt?!
#2  Humans are mammals--our breasts are meant to nurture our infants, not
to be used as sexual objects!  I've never seen any other mammal fondle
its mate's breast before/during the sexual act.
#3  Why do women have to return to work @ 6 weeks postpartum?  This is a
loaded question and relates to many of the topics listed above.  Swedish
women get 2 or 3 years off.  Who cares if you are sleep deprived if you
don't have to go to work in the am!  And can take daytime catnaps.
#4 Why do AM companies send it home with mom, and then mail it to them at
2 and 6 weeks?  The discharge packs have to go.  I compare giving AM to
Bfing moms to giving a free case of beer to an EtOHic after he
successfully completed a 28 day 12 step program, to drink "just in case"
#5  We need more positive media.  Anybody interested in helping me draft
a letter to Oprah (one that won't sound like a crazed zealot wrote it)
requesting a show on the positives of BF and negatives of AM
#6  MD's out there-- Was your BF training virtually nilch like mine?  I
looked back in my old med school notes, only a tad taught about
nipple/stim, oxytocin, etc, maybe 1/2 hour and only 1 hour spent with a
lecture given in residency.  Most of my training came from personal
experience and read, read read.
Surprise, Surprise,  MD's don't know a thing about BF (but a lot are good
actors, and they sure know how to instruct weaning!)
 Ptnts need to make informed decisions on infant nourishment and the best
and easiest place for them to get it is their MD!  I even talk about
BFing to ptnts in for routine pap and PE--how it can decrease risk of CA,
etc.  MD have such a great opportunity to encourage BFing and
unfortunately most don't as they don't know a thing about it.

Help MD's learn--don't send them piles of journal articles--they won't
get read, not for lack of interst but of time.  Give a noon lecture,
maybe a local conference with CME credits--and have food, they will come.
 Especially those of you with contact to med students and
residents--teach teach teach!!  Educate your MD's and the public,
workplace the moms will follow!
#7  Just a wish  -- Formula should be a prescription medication and only
receive it after the parents sign a consent that they understand the
risks of formula and the benefits of BM that their baby will be missing
out on.

That's it, sorry so long
Nola Westphal, MD
Red Cedar Clinic