From:
Carmela Baeza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:10:31 -0500
Hi Jannette,

I´ve been reading about this, there are a few case reports. It seems that
for babies who are directly breastfeeding, breastmilk with Serratia is not
harmful. In the cases I read, babies were not affected; mothers
discontinued brestfeeding because either they or their HCP were scared by
the pink milk and the culture results. Breastfeeding resumed after
antibiotic treatment (or negative culture for mother and baby).

The danger is to NICU babies or high risk babies who are offered
contaminated breastmilk - Contamination with > 1,000 gram-negative bacilli
per milliliter is associated with feeding intolerance, and higher levels of
contamination (> 1,000,000/mL) can be associated with sepsis.

Some reading:

http://www.infantrisk.com/content/red-milk-what-causes-your-milk-turn-red

Warmly from Madrid,
Kika

<http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html>

--
Dra. Carmela Baeza
Médico de Familia

Autora de "Amar con los Brazos Abiertos"
http://www.ediciones-encuentro.es/libro/amar-con-los-brazos-abiertos.html

Comprometida con el Derecho a Vivir
http://derechoavivir.org