From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:09:01 -0500
I received this email the other day  - did anyone else here receive a
request like this? Does anyone know anything about this outfit? Please
reply privately to avoid clogging up the list.

TIA, Norma, who is wondering how on earth a nipple shield could protect
against mastitis!

Norma Ritter, IBCLC
private practice in Big Flats, NY

>First let me introduce myself I am Mrs. LaTina D. McCoy and I am in need
of
your expertise in breastfeeding research.  I have applied for a Phase I
Grant at the National Institute of Health and I need consultants to work
on
my project with me.  I need to round out my team of expert's.

On July 29, 1997, Mrs. LaTina D. McCoy was issued a United States Patent
on
a nursing shield named Mothers Nurser.  The nursing shield is designed to
protect from adverse effects that occur during the breast-feeding
experience.  By protecting against such difficulties as severely cracked,
infected, bleeding, blistered, chapped, fissured, bruised, thrush and
mastitis.  Other benefits of Mothers Nurser is to aid struggling infants
with difficulty latching on to the breast because of sucking problems or
the
mother's lack of protractility of breast tissue, inverted nipples, and
breast refusal.  If a mother is unable to "cope" with these difficulties
without the "aid" of a nursing shield, will most likely "discontinue" her
goal to breast-feed.

The expected result is to extend the length of time a mother would
breastfeed her infants by guarding against these difficulties.  Mothers
Nurser is designed to accommodate the various cup sizes of women's
breast.
The natural shape and individual cup size will enhance the actual fit of
the
nursing shield.  Thus employing a commercially safe and personalized
product
directly to nursing mothers.

After studying the feasibility of this product Mrs. McCoy feels very
satisfied with its safety, and is extremely excited about the prospects
of
this new product .  In order to make the product possible, Mrs. McCoy is
seeking a Clinical Research Consultant to work  on her project that would
be
funded by NIH.

Thanks

LaTina