From:
"Dr. Harvey Karp" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:34:59 -0800
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your note last week. I totally agree with you that
fetuses are "highly adapted to thrive in the environment of the
mother's body." You raise an important question about CST that I
would like to respond to.

About 20% of babies who cry and fuss for more than 2 h/day.  In my
book ( p72-75) I describe my logic for understanding why misalignment
or subluxation (gas, maternal anxiety, etc) cannot be the basis for
the vast majority of these kids: e.g. persistent crying in infancy
has a delayed onset in preemies, gets better with car rides and hair
driers, disappears in most kids by 3 mo, is totally absent in some
aboriginal cultures...and these babies dramatically improve with the
5 S's.

And, they don't just quiet with the 5 S's and shut down...they are
not "forced into a semblance of organization"...they often quiet and
go immediately into a quiet alert state - clearly calmed and highly
receptive to their mothers and fathers (as demonstrated on The
Happiest Baby DVD...which I recommend as the main teaching tool for
parents along with a CD of white noise and a large swaddling blanket).

I have worked with CS therapists (chiropractors and osteopaths) for
decades.  I have sent many patients to them and my wife and I have
gone to them ourselves. In fact, I had many of them as parents in my
practice. So I have an open mind...heart...and experience to
manipulative therapy. I am so glad you have seen such stellar
response of colic to CST in your practice, but the evidence for CST
as a treatment for colic is weak at best.

All best wishes,

Harvey